Wednesday, Sept. 24, 2014
START A FREE TRIAL | SUBSCRIBE | LOG IN
Sign up for the free daily email


National Press Club celebrates 75 years

Despite financial struggles, Press Club is still kicking

In January, 1928, two Ottawa newspaper journalists thought it would be a good idea to start a club for Parliament Hill reporters. So the now-defunct Ottawa Journal's Francis Rowse and Ottawa Citizen reporter Guy Rhoades started the Ottawa Press Club. For several years, the hacks and flacks didn't have a location, but met at the Ottawa House Hotel in Hull for beers and political discussions. Then in 1953, the reporters were given use of a facility above the then-Snow's Sparks Street jewelry shop. Later on, the club then moved to a spot above the Connaught Restaurant on Elgin Street and then finally moved into the National Press Building on 150 Wellington St.

To View the rest of this article, please choose one of the following

If you are already a subscriber

Subscribe to The Hill Times

Subscribe to the print and electronic editions and get instant access to The Hill Times online.


Quick Purchase

Purchase this weeks' edition of The Hill Times in electronic format (PDF) for $4.00


Sign Up for a free trial

For access to the website.



back to article National Press Club celebrates 75 years
Editor’s Note: Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of The Hill Times. Personal attacks, name-calling, offensive language, and unsubstantiated allegations are not allowed.
For more information on our commenting policies, please see our Community Discussion Rules page. If you see a typo or error in a story, report it to us here news@hilltimes.com.

National Press Club celebrates 75 years

Despite financial struggles, Press Club is still kicking

In January, 1928, two Ottawa newspaper journalists thought it would be a good idea to start a club for Parliament Hill reporters. So the now-defunct Ottawa Journal's Francis Rowse and Ottawa Citizen reporter Guy Rhoades started the Ottawa Press Club. For several years, the hacks and flacks didn't have a location, but met at the Ottawa House Hotel in Hull for beers and political discussions. Then in 1953, the reporters were given use of a facility above the then-Snow's Sparks Street jewelry shop. Later on, the club then moved to a spot above the Connaught Restaurant on Elgin Street and then finally moved into the National Press Building on 150 Wellington St.

  

Parliamentary Calendar
Friday, September 26, 2014
HILL LIFE & PEOPLE SLIDESHOWS
Parliament Buildings' multi-billion-dollar renovation and construction: in photographs, by Liban Mohamed Sept. 23, 2014

The Hill Times photograph courtesy of Liban Mohamed

Third year civil engineering student, Liban Mohamed, a co-op student with Public Works this summer, tweeted this photo from the West Block. This is the excavation work to construct the West Block's portion of the new underground Visitors' Welcome Centre.

The Hill Times photograph courtesy of Liban Mohamed

Workers loading a fixture onto a construction elevator destined to top a chimney on the West Block's Mackenzie Tower.

The Hill Times photograph courtesy of Liban Mohamed

The secret staircase inside the Mackenzie Tower is named after Alexander Mackenzie, Canada's second prime minister. Mackenzie, whose office was in West Block, was apparently leery of lobbyists and used the secret staircase as an escape route.

The Hill Times photograph courtesy of Liban Mohamed

Copper roofing and metal vents near the top of the West Block's Mackenzie Tower, named after Alexander Mackenzie, Canada's second prime minister and first Liberal prime minister. Mackenzie, who was in office from 1873 to 1878, had his office in West Block. The Mackenzie Tower, the building's tallest tower, also to be completely dismantled and rebuilt as part of the restoration work.

The Hill Times photograph courtesy of Liban Mohamed

Small copper-rimmed windows set to be installed on the West Block's Mackenzie Tower. The West Block is one of four Parliament Buildings under construction as part of the Public Works' multi-billion-dollar rehabilitation project. It's expected to cost $2.64-billion by 2018. West Block's renovation is expected to cost $863-million and is expected to be completed in 2018.

The Hill Times photograph courtesy of Liban Mohamed

A worker wearing rubber gloves for protection is pictured cleaning West Block masonry with a toothbrush.

The Hill Times photograph courtesy of Liban Mohamed

A rooftop view of the West Block's courtyard, which is currently being excavated for construction of the $115-million glass-domed infill that will be the temporary home to the House Chamber beginning in 2018.

MICHAEL DE ADDER'S TAKE