Conservative MP Michael Chongâ€™s bill to empower MPs could be gutted at committee.
HOUSE OF COMMONS
• C-2 Safe Injection Bill (second reading)
• C-3 Safeguarding Canada’s Seas and Skies Bill (second reading)
• C-4 Second 2013 Budget Implementation Bill (report)
MONDAY, DEC. 2
• House debates Bill C-489, An Act to amend the Criminal Code and the Corrections and Conditional Release Act (restrictions on offenders), at report stage.
• Official Languages Commissioner Graham Fraser appears before the House Official Languages Committee to discuss second official language immersion programs in Canada.
Senate National Security and Defence Committee hears from Canadian Armed Forces members and Reserves 2000 who will discuss the committee’s report on the reserves.
Former South African president Nelson Mandela visited Ottawa in May 1992. The honorary Canadian who helped end apartheid in his country died on Dec. 5 at 95 years old. Governor General David Johnston said, "When history speaks of the very best examples of humanity, we will speak of Nelson Mandela." He's pictured here with former Canadian prime minister Brian Mulroney.